Tuesday, January 1, 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!!! AND A TEMPTATION TUESDAY TOO!!!!

Hello everyone!  I hope that you all had a great Christmas as well as a safe and happy start to a new year!  It has been a week at least since I have been on here.  It was crazy, hectic, fun, yummy, and all the wonderful things that a holiday should be!  I hope that yours was as well.  I don't know if you all got a chance to pop on over to http://ourpioneerhomestead.blogspot.com/  I went over there and got all of her little cross stitch freebies for Christmas.  They are so awesome.  They make up really quick and they are going to make perfect little decorations for my trees next year as well as bowl fillers too.  Not to mention how great they would be as gifts!!!!  Love, love, love them.  Although Pamela has had issues during the holidays she still managed to share those sweet cross stitch patterns.  Got to just love her!  Thanks again, Pamela!  I am still stitching some up--always behind the ball.  Or, you could look at it that I am ahead of the game. LOL!  That's the way I prefer to see it.  It sounds so much better that way.  So, after the rush of the season, just sitting on the couch with a nice cross stitch project or a needle punch, just feels....... AMAZING!!!!  It is so nice not having to rush and hurry to get so many things done and ready all at the same time.  Don't get me wrong, Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday.  From Fall on, I just love it.  It is the rush that sometimes gets in the way of the enjoyment.  I guess that is why right now doing a relaxing craft, just because, feels so nice.  I hope that you all are getting a chance to unwind a little as well. 

Now for the recipes for today.  These are two that I made up for Christmas and they were delicious.  The first one is a recipe that I am sure you have all heard of and probably have your own recipe for but, I thought that I would share my recipe with you as well. 

OVERNIGHT FRENCH TOAST

5 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 c milk
1 c half n half
1 teas vanilla
1/2 -1 whole loaf french bread, cut thick (at least 1") and on the diagonal


1/2 c butter
1 c light brown sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup

Spray a 9X13 pan with non stick spray.  Place bread in dish.  Whisk together eggs, milk, half n half, and vanilla.  Pour mixture over the bread.  (If you want to overlap bread pieces, make sure to dunk pieces in egg mixture first and then pour remaining mix over bread.  This will ensure that all of the bread gets egg mixture).  Cover and refrigerate overnight. 

In the morning;  Preheat oven to 350*.  Combine butter, sugar and maple syrup.  Spoon over bread.  Bake in oven until golden, about 40 mins.  Let stand for 5 mins.   YUMMY!!!!!!!

This is such a treat on Christmas morning.  I pop it in the oven before we start to open gifts and it is ready to eat when we are.  Love it.  It is also great for Easter or a Birthday, for any special occasion, or just because.  I hope that if you have never made one of these that you give it a try.  I had never made one until last year for Christmas.  We have now made it another part of our Christmas tradition.


This next recipe is another one that I made for Christmas.  This is a new recipe to me this year but will be one that I will continue to make.  This is another overnight goodie.  I love these because they are ready ahead of time and the mess is all cleaned up and all you have to do is bake and enjoy!


EGG NOG COFFEE CAKE

1 c sugar
1/2 c butter, softened
1 c egg nog
1 container (8oz) sour cream
1 teas rum extract
2 eggs
2 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 teas baking powder
1/2 teas baking soda
1/2 teas salt

Streusel Topping
1/3 c sugar
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 teas nutmeg

Grease bottom only of 13X9 pan with shortening, (I sprayed mine all over with Pam).  In a small bowl, mix all streusel topping ingredients with a fork until crumbly; set aside.  in a large bowl, beat sugar and butter .  Beat in egg nog, sour cream, extract, and eggs until well blended.  Stir in flour, baking powder, soda and salt.  Spread in pan.  Sprinkle Streusel topping over the batter.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.  Heat oven to 350*.  Uncover pan, and bake for 35-40 mins.  Cool for 20 mins.

EGG NOG GLAZE

1/2 c powdered sugar
1-2 tbsp egg nog

In a small bowl, mix powdered sugar and egg nog until smooth and thin enough to drizzle.  Drizzle over coffee cake.     YUMMY!!

This was delicious too!  Although mom made her Gingerbread and this took second place.  It still will be one of my favorites around the holidays.  And it will be extra special too because you have to wait for the egg nog to come out in the Fall before you can make it again after the holidays.  I got this recipe off of Pinterest from I believe mandyprintablerecipes. Just wanted to make sure I gave credit where it belonged. 


Well, I hope that you have enjoyed the recipes.  Please record the date too, I put them on here on the proper day of the week.  LOL!!!!!!  I hope to be on here within a few more days and maybe I can share some pics of the cross stitch goodies I have been working on. 

Here's to a wonderful year ahead for all of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warm and primitive blessings to you all!

prim_bug 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment