Tuesday, April 9, 2013

TEMPTATION TUESDAY

Good morning everyone!  Well, it's kinda yucky and rainy out but, still has the potential for being a good morning.  I hope that all of you had a nice Easter.  We definitely did.  I got wrapped up in appointments and preparation for Easter and well, you all know how I am.  I was informed that I needed to get back on and get to posting (Samantha) ....  here goes.  LOL!!!  Somebody has to keep me in line and accountable. 

So, I got this new tablet and have found that I enjoy beating the candy crush game quite a bit, I liked 4 pics one word until it got a bit difficult and frustrating, and I as of last night finally learned how to use the Kindle.  WOW!  I love that little thing.  But the downside of it is that it is one more distraction for me.  Yeah, like I need one.  I know but, it is soooooo enjoyable. 

I wanted to show you a photo of the hubs and Jackson.  That dog has bonded with him so much it is crazy.  You can see in the picture!

Gotta love it!  Love it, love it, love it.    And, now for a picture of all three of my babies together;


They were all lying in the same position but, Jackson always move when you get the camera out and it is hard to snap a picture of him when you want it.  I thought that I would show a couple more pictures of my red fellow too!  I just saw him again yesterday out at the feeders as well but here are a couple pictures I got a little bit ago;

Isn't he so handsome?!

I really enjoy seeing him on the white bowl eating.  Absolutely beautiful. 

Ok, so now on to the recipes.  For today I selected one recipe that I made for Easter and we all loved!  It was a real fun one.  And the other recipe is for a cake.  I have tried both of them and loved them both.  I actually got a picture of one.  I am trying to get pics so that I can show you how they turned out.  The first recipe is for the cake and I got the recipe from here: http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/107929/pioneer-womans-strawberry-shortcake-cake/   and it is for a;

STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE CAKE
(OK, so I was drawn to the recipe because of the word cake in the name twice, I couldn't help myself)

Cake:
1 1/2 c flour
3 Tbsp corn starch
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
9 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
1 1/2 c sugar
3 large eggs, room temp
1/2 c sour cream, room temp
1 tsp vanilla

Icing:
1 pkg cream cheese, room temp
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
3 c powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla
1 lb strawberries

Preheat oven to 350*
Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and corn starch.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream 9 Tbsp of butter with the sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Add sour cream and vanilla and mix well.  Pour into a greased and floured 8" cake pan.  Bake at 350* for about 45 mins or until no longer jiggly.  Note; the cake does bake to a very dark golden brown. 
Remove from cake pan as soon as you pull it from the oven, and place it on a cooling rack.  Allow it to cool completely. 
Stem strawberries and slice them in half from bottom to top.  Place into a bowl and sprinkle with 3 Tbsp of sugar.  Stir together and let sit for 30 mins.  After 30 minutes, mash the strawberries in two batches and sprinkle each batch with 1 Tbsp of sugar and allow to sit for another 30 mins.

Make icing;
Combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and a dash of salt in a mixing bowl.  Mix until light and fluffy.
Slice cake in half through the middle.  Spread strawberries evenly over each half (cut side up), pouring on all of the juices.  Place the cake halves into the freezer for 5 mins, just to make icing easier.
Remove from the freezer.  Use a little less than 1/3 of the icing to spread over the top of the strawberries on the bottom layer.  Place the second layer on top.  Add 1/2 of the remaining icing on top of the strawberries, spreading evenly.  Use the last of the icing to do around the sides of the cake.

Leave plain or garnish with strawberry halves.  IMPORTANT:  Cake is best when served slightly cool.  The butter content in icing will cause it to soften at room temperature.  For best results, store in the fridge.

TIPS:  I made mine with a hand held mixer so, if that is all you have, it will work fine. 
           There was a lot of cake batter for the 8" pan.  Mine overflowed in the oven.  I would recommend making a small child size cake, (tuna can washed out works good), along with the 8" pan.  Either that or use a mini loaf pan for a little of the cake mixture.  I wish that I had known before. 
            I also mashed up my strawberries ahead of time.  I made them up a day or so before.  They were just sweeter and juicier.  YUM!
            Hopefully these will help you out.  I would encourage you to make this cake though.  It is seriously yummy and if there is a strawberry shortcake lover in your life........... yeah, you need to do this for them. 


For the next recipe, I wanted to share a drink with you all.  This was as fun to make as it was yummy!  I found the recipe for this one here:   http://www.butterwithasideofbread.com/2012/11/homemade-italian-cream-sodas.html  and it is for;

ITALIAN CREAM SODAS

club soda
half and half
Torani syrups
ice
whipped cream
cherries

To make one Italian cream soda, you will need;
1/2 c club soda
3 Tbsp Torani syrup  yummy combination-raspberry/vanilla  2 Tbsp raspberry and 1 Tbsp vanilla
1 Tbsp half and half
3 ice cubes
whipped cream and cherry on top

Add ice cubes to glass and add club soda (if you have larger glasses than you will want to double the recipe for the effect).
Measure out your Torani syrup.  You will need 3 Tbsp for each drink you make. The raspberry vanilla combo is what I made and it was delicious.
Add the syrup to the soda.  Just before serving add the half and half.  This is the really neat part of the recipe.  As the cream starts to seep down the sides of the glass into they syrup and soda it looks like a marbling effect.  Really pretty and it was quite entertaining for us. 
Top each glass off with some whipped cream and a cherry and it is absolutely awesome!  Make sure before anyone drinks it, that you tell them to stir the drink up.  That is when you can truly enjoy the yumminess of the drink. 

TIP:  Myself as well as my family do not care for club soda so I switched it out for Raspberry Ginger Ale.  That was sooooooo good.  And I think that I will get a little creative and maybe try Cream soda and just the vanilla syrup or fool around with some other flavors.  This was fun and everyone should enjoy because it wasn't alcoholic. 
        The Torani syrup is found at Wal mart and it is in the coffee/tea aisle.  It was about $3.50 per bottle.  And I believe that the blog that the recipe was listed on said that one bottle would make 12-14 servings. 

I wanted to share a picture of the one I made up after Easter because of course on Easter I didn't even think to get out the camera until the drinks were all almost half gone.  LOL!  That's my way of thinking...... too late.  Also, in the picture I have doubled the recipe for the glass size shown just so that you get an idea of how small the original recipe is intended for .

I searched but, I couldn't find any glasses that were as small as the ones that were pictured on their blog.  They looked amazing but, I think that these came out just fine and I would not hesitate to make these again.  In fact just picked me up some diet raspberry ginger ale yesterday and planning on having another one of these beauties real soon! 

I hope that you all enjoyed my yakkings, pictures and the recipes today.  Again, sorry about missing all of last week and I hope to be back soon with more.

Warm and primitive blessings to you all.

prim_bug

No comments:

Post a Comment