Tuesday, September 11, 2012

TEMPTATION TUESDAY

Hi everyone!  I hope that you are all still popping on here every now and again.  I am so sorry that I have fallen back into the rut of only posting once a week.  I just haven't been able to get on.  I will continue to try harder.  (promises, promises)!!!!!  I will try. 

Anyway, on the lighter side of things, it is the one day of the week that I somehow manage to try to remain faithful with.  So, just to give you all a future heads up, I do have some more family favorite recipes that will be coming up for the holidays.  I am sorry, but they are coming.  Probably quicker than we are prepared for.  They always are here before I am ready.  I vow that every year I am going to start earlier and be done and ready, LOL, that is way too funny!!!!!  Never gonna happen with a procrastinator!  Oh, you all didn't realize that that is what I am?  Yeah, right!  You all knew it from the first week that I posted.  I did do much better in the beginning though.  I will work on it. 

I also wanted to let you know that I will probably only be posting one recipe a week from here on in.  I am running out of my family faves.  No worries though, I am always on the lookout for new yummies! 

Today's recipe will be one that I have loved since I was little.  I can remember my mom making this every fall when the fresh apples came out.  I remember also, coming home from school and smelling this baking in the oven.  Who wants supper when you know that you have dessert?!  Surely not me!


MOMS APPLE DUMPLINGS

3/4 c sugar
3/4 c water
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2/3 c shortening
1/2 c milk
6 med apples, peeled and sliced

Mix the first four ingredients in a kettle.  Bring to a boil; remove from heat; add butter. 

Sift dry ingredients; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Add milk all at once.  Stir just until flour is moistened. 

On a lightly floured surface roll about 3/4 of the dough out to fit pan.  ( I use a 13x9 it's okay if it doesn't fit perfectly.  It ends up looking pretty rustic anyway and no one will be able to see the bottom).  Put apples in on top of the dough.  Then take the remaining dough and put it in little random patches all over the top.  I flatten out little pieces and try to cover as much area as I can.  (These are very tasty little pieces on top).  Pour the syrup that you made first over the apples and dough.  Bake for 35 mins. at 375.  Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.  Even better after it sits in the refrigerator overnight.  (Mine just doesn't seem to last that long.  LOL!)

I hope that you try this one out soon.  The cooler days and the fresh apples.  Nothing smells as good baking as this does.  It is a definite sign of fall to me!  I hope that you all enjoy this one as much as we do too!

Have a great afternoon!

Thanks to all of you who still have faith in me and keep checking back.  I really appreciate it!

Warm and primitive blessings to you all!

prim_bug

No comments:

Post a Comment