Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My Grungy Jars

Well good morning everyone!  I hope that you all had a good evening last night.  I did.  I can still taste the lasagna.  LOL!  Just kidding but, it was very tasty.  I think that the only way it could have been better............. peanut butter! LOL!  Sorry, I am a peanut butter freak.  Go figure! 

Anyway, it's time to get to the project and the pictures. Before I go on I want to make sure to mention that the original tutorial for this is at:  http://gettysburghomestead.blogspot.com/   Mary over there has this in her tutorials.  I have done this before but, I hadn't blogged about it.  It was at Easter time and I had so many other crafts going on that I didn't get a chance.  I love these jars.  Mod podge is the greatest!  All you need for this is:  mod podge, jar, dried coffee grinds, paintbrush, twine, and label of your choice.  The labels that I used on mine below were some that I purchased at a craft shop years ago.  They were like .99 each.  That should tell ya something.  You can print your own labels that you might want of the internet anywhere.  I just happen to be trying to think ahead-----so mine are Christmas!
(Who would have thought......... a large peanut butter jar)!  These labels happened to have a sticky back that all I had to do is just peel and stick.  Normally when I print it off I have put mod podge on the back of the label and quickly but carefully place it where I want it.  I have since learned that if I take a glue stick and go down the center of the label.  That works great.  I can center the label where I want and still have room for adjusting it without tearing it.  Trust me, that works much better.  From here on out that is how I will be doing mine.  Once you have the label centered where you want it, put mod podge on the actual jar under half of the label that is still waiting to be glued down.  Then smooth the label down trying to make sure there are no air bubbles under it.  (It doesn't bother me too much if I have some because if the label has a crease in it-----it makes it look older and more aged.  At least that's how I feel.  If you don't like that then you just have to try and go slowly to keep things smooth).  You then need to do the other side. This is what you have:

Now, you have to do something about those jar lids.

I normally like to paint them brown because I put the coffee stained cheesecloth over it and it just blends in nicely with that.  I wanted to do something a little different with the small jar though.  It is for candy canes so, I thought a striped lid would be fun and different.  I obviously did it freehand.  But, I love that look.  It is so ............  not manufactured!   You will never see another identical to this. 

So, the next step is your coffee grinds.  I save mine every morning and Nancy has saved some for me as well. I just dump my filter full on a couple of paper towels in a plate and let them sit out to dry for a couple of days and then add them to my cool whip container and leave it uncovered so that they continue to dry and don't mold.

Now you take your jar and I do small areas with mod podge.  And then you sprinkle on your coffee flakes over the mod podge are and tap off the rest.  Warning:  do not do this in front of fan!  Do as I say not as I do!  LOL!! 

This is just a quick try at dipping it in the cool whip container.


I thought I had a photo of a small area done but, I guess not.  This is after the first coat of mod podge and coffee grinds are on.  Just let it dry (in front of that fan) for a few minutes to harden.  Once it feels pretty solid, start applying your second layer the same way over the first.

Again, the same thing.  You wait for this layer to harden too.  Just so that you know those coffee grinds are going to stick anywhere that mod podge is.  It gets all over the edges of my label.  It's okay to me but if you don't like that take extra care around your edges.  If you get some on there by mistake you still have time to wipe off and remove it.  Just make sure you pay attention to it before it dries.  The next step is the final coat of mod podge.  You do this to harden it on and it actually seals it so that every time you pick up or touch your jars you don't leave a trail of coffee grounds behind. 
I tried to get a close up for you.  That worked well.
This is a little better.  Now your jar looks like it was tucked in a snowbank overnight.  Snow?!  Sorry!
Just let this layer dry now.  When this is dry you can put your jar lids back on .  Then I just take a piece of coffee stained cheesecloth (use whatever you like) and put it over the lid.  Then I just tie a bow around it and you're done!

Doesn't look so peanut buttery now, does it?


Sorry about the glare.  The sun was shining in through the window pretty good.

I really like the look of the striped jar lid.  It totally gave it more character.  I think that it looks wicked good!!!!

Well, that's it for today.  Again, I want to clarify this original tutorial came from Mary over at: http://gettysburghomestead.blogspot.com/  I can't and do not want to take credit for this.  It is alot of fun and inexpensive.  Who doesn't have jars, right?!  This is a nice way to fill in spaces throughout your home.  Especially as we are getting prepared to head into the holiday seasons sooner than you think.  These are lightweight, easy to pack and put away, and great to display all around to get you the feeling of whatever season is among us.  So, go get creative and find some new labels to put on some jars.  Don't limit it just to the upcoming season.  Think about all the seasons.  (Pumpkins, snowmen, Santa, turkeys, rabbits, flags, these are just a few).  If you are making one up, you might as well make a batch.  Just make sure you have saved your coffee grinds and get a large container of mod podge.  Prepare to get sticky and if you do, do this in front of a fan....... prepare to be coated and sealed with coffee grinds! LOL! 

I almost forgot, don't use the instant coffee grinds.....they just run down your jar.  If you like that look than by all means go for it.  But if you want it similar to what these look like they are regular coffee grinds. 

Hey, you all have a great day out there.  We have less humidity coming our way and I pray that wherever you are at you have the relief that you are awaiting as well. 

Warm primitive blessings to you all.

prim_bug








No comments:

Post a Comment