Wednesday, July 25, 2012

TEMPTATION TUESDAY...OOOPS ON WEDNESDAY

Hey everyone!  So sorry I missed yesterday, again, like everyone else it has been kind of crazy around here.  I have been really trying to focus on helping my sister with her (unsafe transfers) which are getting a little better and also focusing on trying to get myself a little more healthy.  (exercise wise).  Neither of these two things are easy and both have taken a great deal of time and effort.  But, we are definitely worth it and we will continue to keep working on ourselves.  In the meantime;  I wanted to give a quick recipe so I grabbed one that I have been meaning to try that I got out of a Taste Of Home cookbook.  I have seen a lot of cabbage ready at our local farm stands and today I am making a ham boiled dinner for supper.  Everyone knows how to do that so, I thought about some cabbage rolls.  And here's the recipe:


CLASSIC CABBAGE ROLLS

1 medium head cabbage, cored
1 1/2c chopped onion, divided
1 tbsp butter or margarine
2 cans italian style stewed tomatoes (14 1/2 oz ea)
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
1 c cooked rice
1/4 c ketchup
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce---( Love this stuff-----try it in your tuna salad it is yummy)
1/4 tsp pepper
1 lb lean ground beef
1/4 lb bulk italian sausage
1/2 c V-8 juice, optional

Cook cabbage in boiling water for 10 mins or until outer leaves are tender; drain.  Rinse in cold water; drain.  Remove 8 large outer leaves (refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use); set aside.  In a saucepan saute 1 cup onion in butter until tender.  Add tomatoes, garlic, brown sugar and 1/2 tsp salt.  Simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.  Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the rice, ketchup, worcestershire, pepper and remaining onion and salt.  Add beef and sausage; mix well.  Remove thick vein from cabbage leaves for easier rolling.  Place about 1/2 cup meat mixture on each leaf; fold in sides.  Starting at unfolded edge, roll up leaf to completely enclose filling.  Place seam side down in a skillet.  Top with the sauce.  Cover and cook over med/low heat for 1 hour.  Add V-8 juice if desired.  Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 mins longer or until rolls are heated through and meat is no longer pink. 

This sounds delicious to me and if we continue having the weather like today I definitely don't mind cooking.  I hop that you all like this one.  Let me know if you give it a try. 

Hope that you all have a great day today.  I hope to be back on more frequently again by next week.  Sorry but, I just have too much going on right now.  Enjoy your week and I hope to be back soon!!!

Warm primitive blessings to you all!!!!!

prim_bug

No comments:

Post a Comment