Tuesday, August 21, 2012

TEMPTATION TUESDAY

Good (wet n drizzly) Tuesday morning everyone!  I hope that you all had a nice week end.  We did but, it was busy.  We took the doors out of bedroom and it was a good thing we did.  The door frame had started to rot and we did not even know.  I am a strong believer in things happen for a reason.  We really needed to change out those doors before fall and HOORAY, we got it done!  One project down.........  tons more to go!  Does it ever end?  Do you ever get truly satisfied that this is good!  And then get to sit back and say "Wow, we're done and it looks great"!  I believe it will happen.  I have to right?!  LOL!  So, this coming Saturday we are going to be putting down our kitchen and dining room flooring.  I have waited so long.  It makes me feel like a kid on Christmas morning, I am so anxious. I hope to put pictures on soon but, again we have been painting ceilings, doing the change in the bedroom and now Samantha is coming over again today to give me a hand painting my two cupboards/hutches before the flooring gets put down.  Lots to do.  But, I suppose that I should get going on to the recipes for this week.  I am putting three on today.  The first one is a special request for Nancy;

BLT FINGER ROLLS

bacon
lettuce
tomato
mayo
finger rolls

Cut little slits into the finger rolls and spread with mayo.  Add; lettuce, tomato and bacon. 

These little guys are as simple as they sound.  The thing that makes these special is that you can make up a lot of these from just a few ingredients.  Being that they are finger roll size, I think that you get a lot more bang for your buck.  Nancy had made some of these up for her wedding and they were a huge hit. Hope that you all enjoy these as much as we have and Thanks Nancy for requesting a special recipe/idea.

Tip:  For family gatherings and parties finger rolls are always more inexpensive and fun to make.  We also have done up mini italians, and mini meatball subs.  These are a lot of fun for kids to help make up for fun little parties (Halloween/Christmas/Birthday, etc).  Try some out for your next little get together and see if you notice how much it may save you.  I hope that you all enjoy these!

This next recipe is from my mom.  She has been baking alot with blueberries and she can't stop raving about these muffins and how moist they are so:

BERRY CREAM MUFFINS

4 c flour
2 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 c (fresh or frozen) blueberries or raspberries
4 eggs
2 c sour cream   (my mom uses lemon yogurt instead)
1 c veg. oil
1 tsp vanilla

In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add berries and toss gently.  Combine eggs, sour cream (or yogurt), oil and vanilla; mix well.  Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Fill muffin tins or papers about 2/3 full.  Bake at 400 for 20-25 mins.  Makes about 2 dozen.

Tip:  My mom had been making these using the sour cream and she used to rave about these before but, she decided to try them with some lemon yogurt one morning and she hasn't stopped going on about these muffins since.  In her defense; they are DELICIOUS!  Try to make these up and use the lemon yogurt- give it a shot.  These are so moist and yummy.  You'll be raving over them too! LOL!

And, last but not least!  The recipe that I had told you about last week.  The relish!  

MOM'S GREEN TOMATO RELISH

2 qts. chopped tomatoes (drain liquid from tomatoes before measuring)
Put these in a large kettle and cover with cold water.  Heat on medium heat and bring to a boil.  Let boil for 15 mins.  Drain and then add;

2 sweet red peppers
1 hot pepper (we use jalapeno but if you like it hotter feel free to use what you like for heat)
2 c sugar
1 pint vinegar
1/4 box pickling spice- in a bag made of cheesecloth (for the bag, I just cut off a piece of cheesecloth and tied kitchen twine around it)
1/4 c pickling salt
1 pint onions (about 2 c ground)

Cook for 1/2 hour.  Put into jars while it is still hot so the jars will seal.  This stuff is so yummy.

Tip:  We use a hand crank meat grinder to run all of the veggies through.  This makes them come out the right consistency.  I would not recommend using the food processor my mom said that it will make the food come out too liquidy and not have the right consistency for the relish.  This is kind of a tradition for us.  I can remember making relish for years.  The grinding up all the veggies was something that I used to look forward to.  This year Samantha did it!  Memories, they are so awesome. 

When we first start; we grind up the tomatoes and pour them into a 2 qt pitcher.  Once we get the tomatoes going we start to grind up the peppers and onions.  The grinding and measuring take the longest time.  The worst part is just cleaning up after. 

Hope that you enjoy this for many years to come as we have already.  If you have any questions please feel free to let me know.

Have a great day and I will be talking to ya soon.

Warm primitive blessings to you all.

prim_bug

No comments:

Post a Comment