Tuesday, August 14, 2012

TEMPTATION TUESDAY

Good morning everyone!  Bet you were all placing bets on me not showing up today!  You lose!  I showed up.  I have to make this post short and sweet (and sour) due to my leaving for the gym.  So, here are a couple of recipes for you all to enjoy.  I hope that you like them they are both family favorites.  I have some special recipes that I am trying to save for around seasonal veggies like the ones today and some for the holidays that I have been waiting for too!  I might have to occasionally fill in with a recipe here or there from a book or magazine but for the most part I like to use the tried and true recipes that we have used.  I hope that your families have been enjoying them as much as we do.  And I also love to receive recipes from anyone out there that would like to share like Nancy and Samantha did.  Those two recipes have both been added to our favorites too!


This first recipe is kind of guessed amounts.  Sorry.  When I used to go and get my nails done the manicurist had brought this in for her lunch and she was explaining that her father in law made this stuff and it smelled delicious.  So as she was telling what she could remember was in to for ingredients, I made some mental notes and went to the grocery store to pick up the few things that I needed to try to make this.  It is delicious and I honestly don't think that you can mess it up with too much or too little of anything.  I never caught the name of it either so I am just going to call it a;

CABBAGE AND KIELBASA SKILLET

olive oil (to coat pan for cooking veggies in)
1 kielbasa ( I use turkey kielbasa---tastes great and better for you)
1 large red onion, peeled and sliced
2 apples (I like granny smith or macs but, use whatever type that you like), cut into small chunks
cinnamon and nutmeg
1 head of cabbage, quartered and then shredded
stock ( I have used chicken stock in the past and yesterday I used beef stock-it was delicious with both, again personal preference)
balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

I take a large skillet/frying pan and coat it with olive oil.  I turn it up on about med/high and start putting in the onion.  I like to get a little coloring on the onion, it tastes sweeter to me.  Once it starts to brown, I add the apples, and a little pinch of nutmeg and a little pinch of cinnamon.  Whenever I add apple to anything, sweet or savory, I like to add cinnamon and nutmeg.  I just think that it needs it.  While that is frying up I start shredding my cabbage basically, just slicing it real thin and throwing that in the pan as well.  It looks like its alot but, it all cooks down.  After the cabbage goes in I pour some balsamic vinegar over the top.  I would turn my pan down to med to med/low now.   Now I just pour some all around the pan over the top of everything.  If I was to guess I would say about 1/2 cup.  If you're not a vinegar fan cut back some.  But, the balsamic vinegar puts a nice sweetness in this so, I enjoy it a lot.  I try to let the vinegar cook down some for a few minutes and add my salt and pepper.
Now, I would add my stock to it.  This here I pour all over and almost half fill my fry pan with the stock.  I want it to sit and cook on low for about an hour.  Most of the juice should be cooked down but it will be a little liquidy (is that a word)?  That's okay because when you refrigerate the leftovers it will absorb in and they are even better the next day!  If you have any questions on this please be sure to let me know.  I don't have any exact amounts but, I have made this often and different each time and it comes out delicious every time.  I hope you give it a whirl!


MOM A'S BLUEBERRY CAKE

3 c flour, sifted
2 c sugar
3 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 c milk
1/3 c oil
1/2 tsp vanilla

Beat 2 minutes.  Fold in blueberries.  Bake in nonstick sprayed 9 x 13 pan. 

Mix; 1/2 c sugar and 3/4 tsp nutmeg.  Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

This recipe belonged to my mother in law and she had it handed to her by an elderly lady that had lived in town years ago.  I was very fortunate to receive this recipe before my mother in law got Alzheimer's disease.  I hope that you get to enjoy making this for your family for many years to come as my mother in law got to make for her family for many years previous, and I have been able to make for now.  Again, it's a simple quick and easy recipe and is so delicious.  Blueberries are here now, so enjoy them while you can.

Tip:  I forgot to add this tip at first but, I just made up one of these cakes and as I was preparing to put in the blueberries I remembered my mom telling me; whenever you add blueberries or choc. chips or anything weighted like that, you should put them in a little coating of flour before you add them to your mixture.  It keeps them from all falling to the bottom of the cake.  This way your blueberries are seen throughout the cake bottom and top.  You probably all knew this but, in case there are some new cooks, this might be helppful.

If any of you went ahead and made up some of that blueberry jelly yesterday............. now would be a great time for a dollop of it!!!!!!!
Well I hope that you all have a great day.  I will do my best to do the same.

Warm primitive blessings to you all!

prim_bug

 

No comments:

Post a Comment